Re: [IRCA] Update on antenna

Gievn how well your other EWE's work (aided by superb grounding) I think this is your best bet for TA's. 73 KAZ ----- Original Message ----- From: "Patrick Martin" <mwdxer@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:25 PM
Subject: [IRCA] Update on antenna

Hi everyone,

This afternoon I went to Home Depot and bought two pieces of PVC pipe
along with two 5 foot copper pipes for the termination ground,  and
hopefully tomorrow or over the weekend, I will get up my 3rd EWE antenna
up. I first thought of running it over to the tree at 15 degrees True
North, but there is another that is a bit farther to the East, and that
one would put me over to 25-35 degrees, plus the wire would longer. With
a EWE, it really doesn't matter all that much as the lobe is broad, but
that should be right in the middle of where I need to be. The edge of
the house is 11 feet in height and I fiqure using two pieces of PVC, one
inside each other, I can easily go up to 15-16 feet without any
problems. There are enough branches on the tree to find the same height.
Since the tree goes out to the North & East a bit from our high winds
(Few trees grow straight around here), especially the Shore Pines, so I
will have a bit more length. I fiqure the total size will be 16X45X16 or
there abouts. My NW EWE is 21X55X21, and the SW is 25X100X25. So the NE
EWE will be a bit smaller, but still it should be close enough. The NW
one works pretty good, although not as much signal as the SW one, but
still fine.  If a big wind comes up, I can easily drop the PVC pipe down
below the surface of the roof, so that should work out.  I don't know
why I never thought of this before. Knowing EWEs, this should work well.
I have always had good luck with any EWE I have made in 28 years.  I
will pass on the results. Now to get the matching transformer set up in
a box and the pot for the termination. I have plenty of both.

73,

Patrick