Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:53 PM
Subject: Re: [IRCA] ALA 100 and related thoughts

Chris/Nick:  I have emailed Kevin S about using the crate loop, sans
varicap, as a BOG "wire compressor" (for lack of better term).  While my
original example would not fit in a 50'x60' backyard, I guess that it
could be scaled down.  My original example used 50' feet of wire on the
ground, fed into one end of the crate loop, then another 50' out of the
backside of the crate, attached to another 50' section, hooked to
another crate loop, then another 50' section, which would be terminated.
You would wind up with a 400' "wire equivalent" BOG in the space of
150'.  He stated that it might work and he said that he has a slinky
longwire in his attic that works on the same principle.  I have also saw
a slinky EWE antenna that looks unique.

I've considered trying a BOG in a shortened fashion.  Run the wire in a
zig-zag back and forth about 3' per "zig".  Probably easier if some pegs
were put in the ground to make a form.  Kind of like:

(coax

If we *ever* get rid of this miserable snow, I may try it.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI