Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 10:23:04 -0500
From: Scott Fybush <scott@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [IRCA] How much does IBOC cost?
To: am@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: amdx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Chernos Saul wrote:
> How much are all costs associated with IBOC, including procurement and

> ongoing use?
>
> In particular, if this can be separated, how much does it cost to keep

> it running, say every month or year?

Are we talking AM specifically?

The answer is a big "it depends." If an AM station has a fairly recent
transmitter and a well-maintained transmission system (not just the
antenna itself, but the phasor, transmission lines, etc.) that's already

broadband enough to handle the wider bandwidth required by IBOC, the
costs can be relatively minimal - low-to-mid-five figures for a new
exciter and the license from Ibiquity.

If more extensive work is required - say, a new phasor - the costs can
go way up from there, though there's certainly an argument to be made
that a lot of those costs would need to be incurred eventually, IBOC or
no.

Contrary to popular belief, there is no recurring license fee for IBOC.
FM stations that multicast have to pay Ibiquity a portion of any
revenues they get from multicast services.

But the only ongoing costs for an AM station to run IBOC would be a
slight increase in the power bill - which may go a long way towards
explaining why it may linger on at many stations long after it's clear
nobody's listening. It's the same deal as AM stereo - the easy thing to
do is to leave it on the air until it breaks or the transmitter is
replaced, but not to expend any energy on fixing it if something goes
wrong.