Re: [IRCA] WOON-1240 test - spectral peaks? in Alberta

Re: [IRCA] WOON-1240 test - spectral peaks? in Alberta

>From Paul's comment I took a careful look at 1239.2 and 1240.8 using the
Perseus (with ~800' beverage in that direction) on a narrow spectrum span
and lots of averaging.  I consistently noted a spectral peak on 1239.202
and 1240.802 khz which would be consistent with 800 hz CW note on a 1240.002
khz carrier(which was also observed, but due to the many possibilities to
generate this, I'm not suggesting I was seeing the WOON carrier).  There
were no other obvious peaks within this range - these were quite narrow and
sometimes reached 10db above baseline, so fairly significant.  In very
general terms, it seemed when one sideband peaked, so did the other. Time to
look at this in more detail....

Recording started at 0657, and first discernible +- 800 peak was visible by
about  0703 and 10 seconds. I discern that the cw was repeated five times
between 0703 and 0705. Each segment was about 10-11 seconds long, with start
times at 03:08, 03:37, 03:58, 04:20 04:40.  Spacing between repeats wasn't
equal.   I didn't dissect the rest of the hour.....  The last group of CW
idents started at 0758:12  and ended at 0759:53.  The very last 2 were
especially weak (altho some better on 1239.202)

Was any of this discernible audibly - nope.  Of course if you listen to
narrow CW filters long enough one can imagine hearing all sorts of code.

Past 0800 the peak vanished (slowly due to the heavy averaging employed).
Thru to 0806 (end of the recording), no trace of any 800 hz energy.

I started out thinking that some long time averaged spectral peaks would the
most I'd ever see, but switching to the waterfall display (covering 780 hz
with an RBW of .95 hz) I was amazed at how easily the on/off times of the CW
id were visible.  I saw the first 5, the last 5 and many inbetween, maybe
almost all of them!  At this resolution the display updates too slowly to be
able to actually view the individual code elements. I could discern that it
was not a steady tone, but not beyond that. A slowly sweeping tone would
have been better for this style of analysis.

I'd be interested in what others who examined the signal in similar
detail can discern. It was an interesting exercise.

73 Don
VE6JY