Re: [IRCA] Two Like-New Eton E100's-- $20 Apiece

Re: [IRCA] Two Like-New Eton E100's-- $20 Apiece

Hi Gary,

I received two E100s from the same "Oceansno.1" Ebay seller today. I won the
bids for these "as-is" models for $5.50 and $11.00 each. Shipping was
approx. $17.00 for the as-is units.

I was happy to find that both of them are cosmetically like-new. The $5.50
model was described as non-functional. Such is the case, and it will be
interesting to troubleshoot this one. I hear low level background noise from
the audio amp increasing slightly with volume, but otherwise no signals on
any band. Th LCD display is also weak, even with fresh batteries. I wonder
if there's an internal short, robbing the display & RF amp or I.F. stages of
current? Even if I never fix it, for $5.50 plus shipping it is worth it for
parts alone.

The $11.00 model was described as working fine through headphones, but not
the speaker. It must have an intermittent connection to the speaker, because
when I press slightly on the back, the speaker works great. The LCD display
is nice and crisp on this one and everything else works as it should. This
unit with the flaky speaker connection will be an easy fix; it will be going
to John Plimmer in South Africa, who is getting into ultralight radio now.

Both have serial numbers in the range E10-05040xxxxx and the script font
"Eton" on the case. These two are the "good" series for modification.

So, I can endorse your recommendation of buying from "Oceansno.1" on Ebay.
Both their fully working models and as-is units are worth checking out.

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA
www.perseus-sdr.blogspot.com