Re: [IRCA] not TP for 3 Dec from Victoria, BC

At 15:57 12/3/2008, you wrote:

>> Impressively poor conditions this morning...
>
>This should be interesting.  The A/K numbers are essentially zero, but the
>Aurora pictures show a deeper coloration, as if some sun activity is
>pending.  Just in the past hour the picture has gone from a yellow to a more
>orange tinge.  We will see what happens in the next day.

It's odd that an increase in K from 0 to 1 would have such an effect, Craig.  Interestingly, the solar wind velocity increased by about 25% after 0500UT, just about the time that the TA's started gasping here; I would guess that increase is a precursor to increased auroral activity, but it shouldn't be much.   The last geomagnetic upset, the solar wind velocity more than doubled.

Maybe our high latitude DX is dependent on some pretty subtle changes.

best wishes,

Nick