Re: [IRCA] QSL # and history

Joe,

Thank you. There have been other DXers that have received more than
3,000 in the past. Ernie Cooper for one with 4500. I always admired him
for his work in the QSL field, also Arthur Cushen from New Zealand.
These were the pioneers in the hobby.
   No, I never even have visited Fairbanks. I lived in Alaska from 55-67
and started DXing there in Seward in  1962, after I found an old radio
on a garbage rack on my way home from school one afternoon. I remember
my mother not wanting me to plug in the radio until my father got home.
He got home and I plugged it in and turned it on and it worked. I think
it was a Zenith, AM only as I remember. It was pretty sensitive as it
got the 4 Anchorage stations without an outside antenna 75 miles away
and through lots of high leaded mountains Including KBYR 1270 1 KW at
the time. That night, stations were all over the dial from end to end.
Within a couple years I was hearing 1 KW Japanese an Taiwanese stations
and Europeans over the pole in the Winter.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
KGED QSL Manager