Re: [IRCA] QSL #3,000-KFBX 970

Thanks Dennis. When I started DXing at 13 (1962), I wish I had known
about QSLs. It wasn't until a DXer at Elmont NY (Dave Listort) wrote me
in late 1964 after I posted some of my DX in Popular Electronics from
Seward AK. He asked me if I collected QSLs? I asked my father who was a
radioman in the Army, later Drill Sgt about QSLs. He said he knew about
them for HAMs but not not for AM stations. Well in Jan 65, I wrote to my
first two MW stations, KFBK-1530 Sacramento CA and KPAY-1060 Chico, CA
and within a couple weeks I had my first two QSL cards. I was hooked
line a sinker. The rest is history as they say. Mentioning history,
looking back through so many of the historic QSLs from the past, it has
been well worth the effort too. So many of the stations are long gone,
never to be heard of again and so many others, I will never hear again.
I well remember Ernie Cooper's article on QSLing. How much he also loved
the hobby and looking through his vast collection on rainy days. I think
he had around 4500 when he passed away. I would have loved to have seen
it. The history from te 1920s on.  I saw Hank Wilkinson's collection and
he had some greats ones from the 30s & 40s. KTOH-1490-Lihue, HI. By the
time I started QSLing,  KTOH (Territory of Hawaii) had moved to 1350. I
did QSL them there. Now they are KQNG 570.
Hopefully I can get to 4,000, but whtever happens, I am so pleased with
what I have received through the years.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin