[IRCA] Orcas Isl. TPs: Poor Mid-August Here

[IRCA] Orcas Isl. TPs: Poor Mid-August Here

Usually, my location gives me big advantages over D. Vroom's much more inland location.... this morning, my location some 200 miles or so north of him seems to have made all the difference. For me, it was a very poor morning. At 90 minutes before dawn, 774 and 747 were in at decent levels and 567 + 828 were at threshold, along with imaginary-level 1242 and 1566. For the first time in weeks, there was a very noticeable dawn enhancement, tho', with 828 coming up to a listenable Level 8, along with 972. That was all of the listenable stuff. However, dawn did bring quite a number of Language Recognition Level 7s (873, 892, 1242, 1287, 1323, 1332, 1566, 1575) and about 15 or so threshold or imaginary level stations scattered right across the band...

It really was like a medium-poor August morning. I also noted that KJNO, 630 Juneau was still audible through the SEattle blaster, but much reduced from previous mornings. I'd say that polar absorption was hard at work here this last morning of the season for me.

I'll wrap up/comment on the season in the near future, but this morning, I'm PACKING radio gear!

John B.
Orcas Island, WA, USA
Rcvrs: WiNRADiO 313e, Eton e1, Slider E100
Antennas: Wellbrook Phased Array NW
Two 70' x 100' Conti Super Loops, West and Northwest _______________________________________________