[IRCA] TPs on Orcas: Below Average, BUT.........

[IRCA] TPs on Orcas: Below Average, BUT.........

As reported by others, it was a below average morning for TPs here.... Many of the regulars were in during the first half of dawn enhancement, when I was running up the band. However, all but the Biggest Gun Japanese were only at threshold levels... oops, looking at my notes, 972 Korea, 1377 China and a few others (3 or 4) were at language recognition level..... but MOST everything was at threshold levels. In fact, things were poor enough that my curiosity at the election results overnight got to me and I bailed out about 10 minutes before LSR.

The oddest thing happened, though... I left so precipitously that I did not turn off the radio. I came back to the shack almost two hours after LSR (1655 UTC) and glanced at the WinRadio 313e Spectrum Scope on the laptop as I started to shut it down.... THERE WAS STILL TP DX COMING IN! We have experienced one or two DX signals, usually mega-blaster HLAZ-1566 lasting a couple of hours after dawn at Grayland, but I'd never noted such here.... and this was China 945!!! I started at 531 and came up the dial. There were NINE audios left and probably as many non-audio hets. The very best performer was our still unidentified 837-China. It was running a solid listenable level 8 at 1657. I started the recorder and it lasted until 1659:30, when it nose dived. I did hear the pips, barely and I could tell that a female announcer spoke next. I went on up the dial. There was at least threshold audio on:

747 (Japan)
756 (China)
837 (China)
891 (Japan)
945 (China)
954 (Japan)
972 (South Korea)
1242 (Japan)
1377 (China)

I got back to 837 kHz. about 1705 and, naturally, it was back up... and lasted in audio until about 1720.... over 2 hours, 15 minutes after sunrise./

I'm not really sure what this is worth, since all the audio and even the hets were from VERY regular visitors. Still, it is quite interesting.... and leads me to think about India on 1566 or maybe even 594.

It sure is an interesting hobby :>)

John B.
Orcas Island, WA, USA
Rcvrs: WiNRADiO 313e, Eton e1, Slider E100
Antennas: Wellbrook Phased Array NW
Two 70' x 100' Conti Super Loops, West and Northwest _______________________________________________