[IRCA] TPs from Orcas Isl: Down A Bit More, But....

[IRCA] TPs from Orcas Isl: Down A Bit More, But....

This morning was sort of typical of somewhat disturbed conditions here. Levels were down and, in general, the JJs were doing better thaqn the mainland stations. About 2/3 of the lower band had at least some audio on it, but things above 1100 were pretty sparse: 5 with audio early, joined by 8 others at max dawn. Everything was more up/down than under good conditions. That being said, there was a good bit that was interesting. I've been looking for regular visitor 585 NHK1 Kushiro in far northern Japan to add to my Ultralight collection, and the first time I tuned across 585, there was a very fat 8-level program there that my brain tried to make into JJ... it wouldn't and I finally realized it was standard Chinese. The only times that I've ever heard CC there (from Orcas) its been VOR's CC Service from Belogorsk. Given the music that was played, I'm presuming that was what I was hearing this AM, also. Later, I had both stations on 585, about equal in strength. Oddly enough, 612 in (for sure) Japanese ... JOLK, NHK1, Fukuoka at 100 kW is the only JJ station on 612 and they were NOT // the other NHK1s at 1415 to 1420 or later.... not even close! Later, around 1500 they were in parallel. All that I can conclude is that they were running a special local or Kyushu-only program. If memory serves, Fukuoaka is the NHK headquarters for Kyushu Island, so they would be fully capable of running local programming and probably do so.... I've just never heard such while DXing.

972 HLCA has really been up and down this season.... more down than up. This morning it was a 9+... the strongest thing on the band, both early and late. 1188 has been interesting lately. Its usually FEBC Inchon/Seoul or NHK1 from Hokkaido... though both have been fairly rare this season. This morning, there was a decent 7 signal there late that was neither one. More work is needed there, for sure. Lastly, 1386 was NHK2 synchros early, but late it was neither those nor Tainjin, China. I did not recognize the language... it might have been Tagalog or I don't know what.... interesting!

Well, its less than 24 hours until we can have this fun again!

John B.
Orcas Island, WA, USA
Rcvrs: WiNRADiO 313e, Eton e1, Slider E100
Antennas: Wellbrook Phased Array NW
Two 70' x 100' Conti Super Loops, West and Northwest _______________________________________________