Re: [IRCA] Reporting QTH

--- On Wed, 10/8/08, John Cereghin <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This has always been a problem with me.  When I moved from
> Elkton, Maryland to Smyrna, DE in 1998 (about 30 miles as
> the crow flies), I carried my logbook from living in
> Maryland for 30 years with me to Delaware, thinking that 30
> miles isn't that far to have to start a fresh logbook.
>
> My "DX Zone" for both MW and FM DXing is about a
> 15-mile radius from Smyrna, right now, as I commute 15 miles
> to work and do a lot of DXing on the road and at work.
> I'll count anything I hear for my master log in a
> "box" strectching from Camden DE to Middletown DE,
> west to the Maryland border and east to the Delwaare Bay.
>
> But what do I do with MW stations I've heard while in
> Nova Scotia?  Do I add them to my master log or segregate
> them?  Technically, my Nova Scotia DXing *could* be
> considered a DXpedition, but I still don't quite know
> how to count such stations.

I'll share my experience here as it seems relevant to your point.

I have actively DX'ed AM from 4 separate locations in Northern NJ, this location, plus Syracuse NY and Jonesport, ME. The latter two I maintain separate logs for.

Although three of the NJ locations were within a 15 mile radius of one another, the fourth was about 50 miles from the others; and this location is about 70 miles from the nearest NJ location.

In each case, I did comparative day and night bandscans, and for the most part, the same stations were heard at night in each locations excepting 2 or 3 GY's exchanging dominant and secondary stations, and a couple of regionals doing the same. Otherwise ( for the various NJ moves which predated the substantial eliminations of daytimers ) the diofferences amounted to a small handful of daytimer dominants.

In each case the total of stations which could be heard regularly at one, two, or even three locations but not the others amounted to three or four stations difference between the most distant 3 locations.

Based on this. I combined the logs for all 5. Even today, after 25 years here - at least semi-actively DX'ing for nearly 20, a large number of my new logs which involve stations having not changed power, frequency or gone on new, are relogs from one of the other locations or else are stations which are widely enough heard that they could have been heard at any.

There is one major exception - TA's, almost all of which were heard at two of the NJ locations. I have heard only a small handful of TA's here, largely due to a basement shack and using loops.

Finally, I have chosen not to count anything heard at the various LBI DXpeditions I've attended in my composite log, since the majority were heard using BOGs on the beach, which simply isn't equivalent, so I maintain a separate personal log of those.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id