[IRCA] Oct 6-7 TP DX on the car radio

Yesterday and this morning, I tried my hand at TP DXing on the car radio while driving to work. Fortunately, the car has radio controls mounted in the steering wheel, making it a bit easier and safer to tune around while driving 60+ mph in rush hour traffic. Yesterday, with the radio set for 10 kHz spacing, I managed to pull a couple minutes of audio (woman in Korean) on 972 just after 1400 UT, mixing with audio from the 970 domestics. I also had hets on 693 747 981 and maybe a couple other channels. It was the second time I heard TP audio on that car radio. The first was JOIB-747 last fall.

This morning, I had the presence of mind to program the radio for 9 kHz spacing before I left the house. Unfortunately, I didn't hear any audio today, but there were lots of hets: 621 648 657 693 729(a real screamer) 738 747 801 972 981 and 1602(weakly). I also checked 1575 (nothing) and 1566 (maybe HLAZ but too much domestic splatter to tell for sure). Again, this was just after 1400. The radio's bandwidth is rather generous, so there's no avoiding audio bleedover from domestics, but it should be possible to bag a few more TPs if conditions hold up. I didn't have time to check the whole dial, so I may check 1000-1200 and 540-600 tomorrow morning.

I've found it's not a huge problem to leave the radio set for 9kHz spacing, since the only 3 local AMs I listen to are 1 kHz removed from TP channels (KIRO-710 KOMO-1000 and KPTK-1090.

Bruce