Re: [IRCA] UltraLight DXpedition - Alaska Style!

At 09:51 AM 9/17/2008, you wrote:
>Hi all:
>
>I'm up in Kenai, Alaska on business, and after a couple mornings where the
>wind, rain and cold made it impossible to venture out of my RF-infested
>hotel room, the weather relented so it was "only" really cold this
>morning.  I found a covered picnic shelter to set up my Sony 7600GR
>spotting receiver and stock Eton e100, along with a Terk Loop and Quantum
>Q-Stick.  I began abot 2 hours before local sunrise here.
>
>To my delight, I quickly realized that a spotting receiver was not
>necessary!  On about a third of the 9 khz I got good audio on the stock
>Eton e100, and 774-JOUB was coming in like local at times; with the Terk
>loop, it was causing QRM on 783!  I'm about 3,000 miles fromn Tokyo here
>(as opposed to 4,500 from the Seattle area), which is still a fair hike,
>but the dearth of 10-khz domestic pests and salt water propagation over
>the sound makes Asian DXing from here quite enjoyable.  IBOC on 650 and a
>couple other channels made a few freqs unavailable.
>
>Having never received a TP on an UlraLight, having my choice between so
>many was an eye-opener!  English lessons on NHK were available on many
>channels (693, 747, 774, 828, etc.), and very strong JJ or KK statons were
>to be found on 558, 567, 594, 729, 792, 837, 954, 963, 972, 1170, 1188,
>1206, 1305, 1350 - I started to lose count as the barefoot e100 cycled
>through the band.  On many channels, with the Terk augment, there were two
>or three stations, and I realized that my inability to tell the difference
>between Japanese, Korean, Chinese and who knows what else is a liability
>in trying to figure out who else is there.

Hi, Kevin!  Your experience sounds very much like what things are like up on the Queen Charlottes....when things are good, audio on every 9 kHz channel, and often several cochannel.  The joys of TP MW dx!  I have with me almost 1.5 TB of Perseus and IQ SDR wav files to have fun with derived from my month on the Charlottes from mid July.  You also have found out how important it is to keep comfortable, dxing!  Lucky for me, I have a cottage to keep out the elements when things get nasty......Walt Salmaniw, Victoria, BC