[IRCA] ExtremelyHeavy group

Great, we have the nucleus for the Extremelyheavy group, haha! I hope I haven't left anyone out. HQ-160's are supposed to be nice radios, I've seen them but they're not common and sell for big bucks usually. I have a kind of extensive Extremelyheavy radio collection including Hammarlunds, Collins, Nationals, Hallicrafters, and Heathkits, also a few nice consoles too. There's something to be said for opening up an Extremelyheavy radio and checking tubes or tracing a circuit. Recapping the SP-600 is one of the biggest PIA's I've had to do with them so far but it is also extremely rewarding and I'm at the easy part now. They're great radios for AM DXing.
A 22 lb Hallicrafters counts in my book. The heaviest one I have right now is a black wrinkle National HRO-50R1, it's in a 3 1/2' high rack which includes a place for the coils and a speaker on top, looks and plays like new. National was in Malden, MA and I'm the third owner, the first worked at National, this thing weighs a good 150 lbs. and is planted in my radio room on top of a sturdy table.
I do most of my DXing with an R-390A or a SP-600 which are both great radios.

Bob Young
Extremelyheavygroup
Analog, MA
KB1OKL