[IRCA] TPs from Orcas Is. Sept 5 and Sept 6

[IRCA] TPs from Orcas Is. Sept 5 and Sept 6

Like Walt up in the Queen Charlottes, yesterday morning showed a recovery here, much more rapidly than I expected. Conditions were transitional, with the bigger Japanese, Chinese and Korean guns present during the first half of dawn enhancement, followed by a very nice opening to DU land, with only one or two Kiwi stations but a large handful of the biggest Aussie guns made it in. Actually, it was one of the better Aussie openings of the last three weeks or so.

This morning was a whole 'nuther story.

Happily, I started a bit early at 1245 (LSR=1335) and the dial was full of Japanese. Eventually, I had 46 channels of audio, a lot of it in the fully intelligible 7 strength or better, in some cases, MUCH better. All of the low band NHK1s were in, with 567 qualifying for a perfect "10" at S-9+20./ I've never ever heard it so loud. A bit later, 738 was // 1143 as Taiwan Fisheries... I've been hearing 738 consistently fror a couple of weeks, but this is the first time that 1143 made it in at very listenable levels. All of the low band NHK2s were at least 9s, 747, 774, 828 and even 873. Even 891, NHK2 was in relatively well, mixing with two others. A few of the Koreans and Chinese were around, but on 963, the usual powerhouse CRI Russian Service was far out muscled by low power NHK1 synchros (!).

The high half of the band was a not quite so powerful, but Japanese stations were still present all over and 1260 (Sendai), 1350 Hiroshima and 1440 JOWF Sapporo were all dominating their North American cousins for a while during max dawn.

The band stayed alive for maybe fifteen minutes past dawn (a sign, here, of very good conditions) with a few DUs showing up at or just after dawn itself.

The most interesting probable Aussie was playing pops, hosted by a male, on 1656. PAL doesn't list anything on this frequency, but I seem to remember something about a new Aussie on this frequency, maybe???? Anyone have any info or ideas.

There were hets on almost every TP frequency that did not have audio on it.

I was disappointed that none of the NHK2 synchro frequencies were in strong enough to really understand when local ID time came around at 1320 UTC.

So, it was a pretty fabulous morning. I hope that this was one of the mornings that Walt planned to be out on Rose Point, 20 miles from any civilization. If so, its likely that he could run all his equipment and charge his car battery off the RF. Wow!!!

I have had a chance the last couple of days to work on some of my UNID audio from my trip to Grayland 10 days ago. I had recorded the NHK2 synchro station IDs on 1386 on two different mornings. Both were marginal, but with Cool Edit, I was able to pull up a pretty reasonable ID for JOQC, Morioka. I got that confirmed this morning by a Japanese professional colleague... and a reception report is going out Monday..... FINALLY!!! JOQG is the NHK1 companion to JOQC in Morioka and is usually what we hear in the fall on 531, often alone and Morioka is the most northerly of the 4 ten kW synchros on 1386, so it makes sense that it was them.... It is sure nice to finally get an ID, though.

I got the Wellbrook Array up yesterday and spent part of this morning comparing it to the big Asian Super Loop. The two little Wellbrook deltas beat it every time... either in raw signal or, especially in signal/noise ratio. Unfortunately this steep mountainside restricts my E-W antennas to 100' or less, so I'll continue to use the Conti Loop toward Australia.

What will tomorrow's dawn bring??? Christmas in September :>)