[IRCA] short report from Masset for 21Aug08

[IRCA] short report from Masset for 21Aug08

Hi, fellas.  Just a
quickie tonight as I have to go to a talk on global over-fishing in a few
minutes, and dinner was late.  As John
mentions, it was a very strong JJ morning here as well.  I slept in a little longer….perhaps I
shouldn’t have.  Definitely much better
than yesterday am (today being 21
 August 2008).  Started at 12:43 and listened through to 14:19.
Lots and lots of JJ all over the band, but China
was present with many channels too.
Mayak was back with good levels on 549 and especially 576 (very
strong).  Lots of channels with multiple
stations on them, so it’ll be interesting to try and sort those out.  The upper band was almost exclusively
JJ…Channel after channel.  I did not hear
any DU this morning.  DZME was there on
1530 at 14:07.  HLAZ 1566 vey strong as usual, but today I
could hear a cochannel at reasonable levels.
This is a new phenomenon to me…and it makes sense.  Due to the overwhelming local quality of 1566,
there is absolutely no noise to contend with.
Hence, any cochannels are actually better heard, if only one could tune
out the dominant channel.  At 13:00, there were 5 + 1 time pips heard.  Clearly an oriental language….I’ll have to
save it and have the experts have a listen to make heads or tails out of this
one.  I’m suspecting it’s a Chinese
regional station.  1575 was also well
heard today, as compared to John’s observation, but cochannel AFN in Japan
was also quite strong.  Nothing new
there.  Lot’s of
Olympic coverage on both NHK1 and CNR1, so it was easy to listen for //
frequencies.  No sign of AIR on 1566
yet.  684 is a frequency worth
watching.  I heard AIR Andaman Is last
Sept on this channel.  Today there was
tantalizing Indian sounding music at 13:35.  At 13:37
there was a nice fade-up with some light bantering between a man and
woman.  Unid language.  Again the recorder was on.

Just a few other details.
I haven’t been happy with the “famed” NW BOG.  Noisy and not very useful.  I trouble shot today, and noted that the
spliced coax was kind of noisy, so I replaced it, and the transformer, and
repaired some old splices in the antenna itself….tomorrow am should tell.  Also erected the Wellbrook array….during the
day it’s hard to test as there are so few stations around.  Anyway, I didn’t notice much when trying in
on the few local channels.  Fingers
crossed.  I located it at 315
degrees….identical to the site from last fall.
The ALA 100 loop was installed yesterday.  It’s about 60’ square (a rectangle actually)
and oriented towards the north.  Not as
good as the mini-Beverage I have, but useful for shortwave channels.

Overall, I should have gotten up earlier….OK, tomorrow, I’ll
be up by 5:30 am……Good DX to
all…..Walt (outside another lodge using their Wi-Fi)