From: Craig Healy [mailto:bubba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 6:40 AM
To: Mailing list for the International Radio Club of America
Subject: Re: [IRCA] IBOC/WiFi/Cellular

> > Within a few years, IBOC will be history anyway. As soon that WiFi
> > becomes nationwide like cel phone service and everyone can enjoy
>
> Uh, Patrick - make that "As soon as cellular phone service becomes
> nationwide, followed by WiFi" - or have the definition of nation
> changed so that it only includes major highways and population centers
> with more than 30,000 residents...
>
> Even *in* town around here people can't get reliable cell service - a
> situation much exacerbated by the analog turnoff, btw. We're far from
> having national coverage in that, much less WiFi.

My wife just bought one of the computer USB CDMA adapters so she has
internet connectivity in the Verizon coverage area.  She's checked it in
more than a few places including rural New Hampshire and it's worked fine.
This same protocol works with these advanced phones like the Apple iPhone
and Samsung/Sprint Instinct.

While this is still in it's beginning stages, there's a great interest from
the general public.  A few hundred bucks and you get full internet
connection, TV viewing, .mp3 audio storage and play, and, oh yes, phone
service.  Add in the ability to store phone numbers, addresses and get GPS
directions and it's got some real versatility.  It can even take streams
from any radio station that does that, and all the XM channels.  Probably
Sirius as well, though I haven't looked.

I would say that a very large percentage of the population has access to the
Verizon or Sprint service.  At least 90% would be my guess.  It's also being
added to uncovered areas rather quickly.  Probably the best comparison is
that of AC power service in the 30's.  Didn't take long before 99% of homes
and businesses had access to power.

HD Radio has gotten a huge load of "ho-hum" from the general public while
iPhones have drawn attention and dollars.  But, who cares about apathy...
iBiquity doesn't.  IBOC has already died, but the proponents have turned it
into a technological zombie.

Brainssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!

Craig Healy
Providence, RI