Re: [IRCA] Skywave noise

> With the new streaming fees from Sound whatever, cost to many
> streamers are going to be running 300% of income on some of
> these folks. Streaming may go away.

Nope.  All it will do is drive them underground.  We all know about pirate
radio.  It can be heard by anyone who cares to tune around.  That also can
interfere with licensed stations.  A pirate stream doesn't interfere with
anything and can't be found without some serious probing.  The IP address
would be hard enough to find.  Add in the port number to the search and it's
now 65536 times more difficult to discover.  What the fees will do is kill
off the streams of licensed (and traceable) stations.

Streaming is also *very* cheap and easy to do.  I run my own stream with my
desired music for my own use, sans commercials, promos and annoying
announcers.  It's at a private address.  If the RIAA were to stumble upon it
I would consider it hacking and file a DCMA complaint against them.  There's
no way in snowed-over Hades I'd pay them 1.9 cents per song played per
listener.  My only direct costs are the electricity required to run the
encoder and the server computers.  Since I need them for other uses, the
real added cost is zilch.

Streams also do not have any governmental licensing, so there is no danger
of fines or jail.

Picture a stream hosted by a country that does not recognize the RIAA or
it's overseas counterparts.  Would the music industry have any way of
attacking a sovereign country?  Say North Korea decides to jump into stream
hosting to gain outside income...

The RIAA is losing the battle against hackers.  It's only a matter of time
before the streams take off as well.  Eventually the NAB will get fed up
with the RIAA/SoundExchange extortion and fight them.  Picture a music
industry rep calling a station to see if they'll add a new song and being
transferred to the sales department.  They would then rightfully be charged
for the publicity gained by playing that song.  Or picture an NAB-wide
"Don't Buy Music" promotional event.  Between the lousy publicity that the
RIAA has generated by suing grandmothers and elementary school kids, and the
bad feelings the broadcast industry has about SoundExchange, this could
easily happen.  They think CD sales are bad now?  Imagine if an honest and
very public campaign encouraged people to not buy music.

Musicians are also screwed over royally by the RIAA.  For every dollar the
RIAA/SoundExchange extorts from broadcasters, musicians get pennies at best.
They really need a better way to be compensated.

Way OT, so I'll shut up now and go listen to my stream and calm down.
(sigh)

Craig Healy
Providence, RI