Re: [IRCA] EWE Up in Carlisle UK! (Possible solution?)

Re: [IRCA] EWE Up in Carlisle UK! (Possible solution?)

I am still wondering about a loose connection or a defective pot,
matching transformer, etc. Even with a poor ground, and it doesn't sound
like you have one, the signal during the day should still have a stable
null. If the ground was not good, the null would just be not as deep. I
also don't care for using a 10K ohm pot, way too touchy.  It may be the
issue too. Moving the control on a 5K ohm pot is touchy enough, a 10K,
it would be hard to get it adjusted corectly. To compare, I just went
out and touched up the pot (2.5K ohm)  pot on 800 khz, the NW EWE with
the null to the SE. On the SW EWE, I get S9 on KPDQ-800 khz-1 KW-75
miles away (Portland OR). Using the NW EWE, and adjusting the null off
the back, I can get the null down to S Zero, no signal at all from KPDQ.
With a weak SAH from Penticton BC (300 miles to the NE. One coper pipe
should work ok, but I like more than that as a confort zone, if the
ground dries out in the Summer. The first thing I would do is to change
that pot to at least 5K, 2-3K would be better, but 5K should work, but
touchy.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin