Re: [IRCA] Propagation and DX differences

At 04:06 7/11/2008, you wrote:
>vel / splatter increased since the 80's, and if so,
>> by how much?
>
>I think it has decreased.  I remember overmodulation being rampant because
>audio processing was still quite crude and unfiltered.  Audio was fed in up
>to 15KHz, and not filtered at all.

I guess the important point is how relatively intense the splatter is closer to the carrier, Craig.  Using the SDR-14, I have seen what you mean about the sub-10 kHz sidebands, though some cut off right at 10 kHz it seems, but that passband still includes the 9 kHz channels we're hunting for.  If all the modulation is concentrated into (say) +/- 6 kHz would that mean worse interference to overseas DX than historic stations spread over more than +/-10 kHz?

best wishes,

Nick