Re: [IRCA] Outstanding DU Morning at Grayland

At 11:30 7/10/2008, you wrote:
>>    I wish you guys could have been at Grayland in the late 70s and early
>> 80s. You would have moved in permanently. hi. Morning after morning of 2
>> KW DUs all over the dial. Amazing times.
>
>I have to wonder just what the difference in solar and other conditions were
>back then, or if it's entirely due to lesser interference in those days.
>I'd think the improvements in antennas and radios would almost negate the
>increased levels of current interference.  Thoughts?

Perhaps you can help answer this one, Craig.   Like Patrick, I can recall some pretty incredible DU's in the 80's, and I'm nowhere near the outer coast.  Using just a tuned 3 foot square unamplified loop antenna yielded catches like two stations  from Western Australia (531 was only 10kw, and 50kw 558), and the Adelaide station on 729, 180 degrees away from a 50 kw station on 730 kHz less than 60 miles away across salt water.  These weren't armchair, and were ID'd with parallels, but they don't happen now, and especially not with that antenna.

My impression is that domestic splatter has worsened considerably since then (stations were already NSP by then).  From your experience, has modulation level / splatter increased since the 80's, and if so, by how much?

But propagation must have contributed also.  Recent years have seen some pretty good East Asian conditions here compared with what I remember from the past, even if domestic splatter has increased.

best wishes,

Nick