[IRCA] 2008 Cabin Fever DX Sprint Results

[IRCA] 2008 Cabin Fever DX Sprint Results

Cabin Fever DX Sprinters,

John and I would like to thank those who participated in the event even if
you didn't send in a log.  Paramount in planning the event, we wanted the
participants to have fun and not be burdened with onerous log keeping.
 Hopefully
we succeeded.

We had 13 official submissions.  8 participated in Barefoot Class and 5 in
Unlimited Class.

Rob Ross of London, Ontario, took top honors with 150 stations logged.  Rob
has learned his way around the dial on his barefoot Sony SRF-T615 having
logged over 400 stations on it in the past two months.  He is still using
the original batteries, but wore out a Lazy Boy Recliner.

Mike Tuggle of Kaneohe, Hawaii, and the multi-operator team of Allen Willie
and Lorne Harnum of St. John's, Newfoundland, had staggering scores in the
Worldwide DX category.  Mike participated in the Unlimited Class and amassed
34,706 km.  For those who don't know of Mike, he is a longtime DXer who uses
minimalist rigs and is widely known for his creative set design in crystal
radios and simple electronics circuits.  Mike's top 5 World Wide DX
stations:  KFAQ Tulsa, OK 6160 km;  530 R.V.C. S. Caicos 8794 km; 740
KTRH Houston,
TX 6299 km; 1520 KOKC Oklahoma City, OK 6011 km; and CHWO Oakville, ON 7442
km.

Since this fall, Allen Willie has logged over 60 Trans-Atlantics with his
Ultralight radios.  His team's 5 station total in WW DX was  44,069 km and
reads like a Middle Eastern travelogue:  Radio Sawa,  Arta, Djibouti 9504
km; 1575 Radio Farda, Al Dhabbaya, United Arab Emirates 9251 km; 1521 BSKSA,
Duba, Saudi Arabia 8730 km; 1548 Radio Sawa,  Kuwait City, Kuwait 8446 km
and 1503 R. Sarasarye, Bushehr, Iran 8138 km.  The total distance of these
five stations exceeds the distance around the Equator.

Top Scorers:

*Barefoo**t*

*Total Stations*

1) Rob Ross, London, Ontario  Sony SRF T615, ("Lazy Boy DXer"): 150

2) Dave Hascall, Indianapolis, IN  Sony SRF 59 ("Brickyard Special"): 102

*Americas DX*:

1)  Rob Ross, London, Ontario  Sony SRF 59: 17,502 km

2)  Kevin Schanilec Bainbridge Island, WA Eton e100, Sony SRF-39FP
("Warden's Worry")  14,782 km

*World Wide DX*

Allen Willie/Lorne Harnum  Sony SRF M37V ("Newfoundland DX Dog")

44,069 km

*Unlimited***

*Total Stations*

1) John Bryant, Buffalo Chip, OK  Sangean DT200VX ("Prairie Sky Plow"),
filter modification and 12" x .75" ferrite/litz tunable booster bar :  78

2) Garry Nichols, Manilus, NY SRF 49 with modified mechanical tuner ("Yankee
DX Clipper"): 60

*Americas DX*

1) John Bryant, Stillwater, OK: 12,344 kms

2)  Gary DeBock, Puyallup, WA steroid-injected SRF-39FP ("The Barry Bonds")
with 6.5" ferrite loopstick transplant: 10246 km.

*World Wide DX*

Mike Tuggle, Kanehoe, HI,  thrift store Sangean DT200V ("Diamondhead DXer"),
coupled to a 70', 4 wire flattop antenna, up 24-34'' coupled to radio via an
eponymous Tuggle Tuner ferrite bar.  (Crystal radio antenna tuner:
double-ganged air variable, one gang tunes antenna and ferrite bar, the
other gang tunes ground) 34,706 km.

We had previously announced no prizes for participants.  However, during the
course of the Sprint, the Yahoo ultralightradio mailbox began filling up
with offers of riches from a former government official, Mr. Magubwe of
Nigeria, and, how about this, we won the Irish Sweepstakes! (Neither John
nor I recall entering.)  It was my intent to provide the top scorers with
the contact information to begin the process of collection of the
well-deserved money, but John, for some unexplained reason, deleted the
emails.  Instead of untold riches, you will be getting a classy certificate
for participation, suitable for framing.

.

73, John and Gil