Re: [IRCA] Ultralights and TA's

Russ,

     The stock ULR's like the SRF-59, DT-200VX and  others are fully capable
of barefoot TA or TP reception in states near ocean  locations, but they do
require very good propagation, and the challenge  becomes more difficult as the
local QRM increases.

     The fall DX season was almost over when I stumbled  acrooss the SRF-59
in late November, but the conditions were still good enough  to log 3 barefoot
TP's, in my very modest DX environment.  Dennis Vroom,  another Washington
state TP-DXer, managed to log a similar number of TP's on his  stock SRF-M37V,
because he also got started during the late fall season.   After that,
conditions just haven't been good enough for stock ULR reception of  TP's here (except
for a fluke logging of JOAK-594 on the SRF-T615 in  December).

     My advice is to give the stock ULR's a little  more DX time in great
conditions, before passing judgement.  My own  estimation is that if I had used
the SRF-59 from the beginning of the season  last fall (around September), I
could have logged at least 10 barefoot TP's with  it, judging from the 2010
signal strength necessary to "cross the  threshold."  And you shouldn't feel
strange about using the 2010 as a  "spotting receiver," most of the ULR TP-DXers
that I know of do this  routinely, and suffer no psychological distress about it
   :>)

73,  Gary

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)