[IRCA] A Few AM and FM DX Notes from Abbeville, South Carolina...

[IRCA] A Few AM and FM DX Notes from Abbeville, South Carolina...

Around 4:00 to 430pm this afternoon (Friday) I was doing a bit of scanning
the radio dial in a Buick Sedan like vehicle while waiting for my neighbor
to come out of the grocery store..

With WABV 1590 temporarily silent, I heard Spanish on 1590Khz and presume it
to be WYSR High Point, NC

On 1350Khz, I heard a liner, "Your Greatest Hits and Good Time Oldies
Station, Z1350" which is WZGM Black Mountain/Asheville, North Carolina.
After the liner, they went back into a song. WZGm was fighting it out
with *DWLMA
*also on 1350Khz. *DWLMA* is only 20 miles to my east and they were getting
torn up!

Also hear with a decent & steady but with some static with 840 WCEO in
Columbia, SC that's 50KW/3 tower Daytimer.

Tuning over to 1700 AM, I heard a DJ talking about a song then he said "This
is WEUP" and into another song.

With Very local WZLA 92.9 temporarily at 600W ERP instead of 6000W ERP I was
able to hear "Oldies KSX".. 92.7 WKSX from Johnston, South Carolina about 45
miles to my Southeast.  WZLA is normally licensed for 6000 Watts with a
tower about 2 miles east of town, but they are using a 300W Backup into 4
bays, producing the 600W ERP. Their 3000W Main Transmitter (6KW ERP into 4
bays) is a Bext and has a major software problem. It's sitting on Bext's
"bench' now awaiting repair.

Paul B. Walker, Jr.
www.walkerbroadcasting.com
www.myspace.com/walkerbroadcasting