[IRCA] DX'ing Back in the Day

Lately I've been working on splitting up several large mp3 files which
fellow DX'er Ron Gitschier graciously converted from my old audiotapes
about a year and a half ago. It's really been interesting to re-live a
lot of this old DX. So far I've been concentrating on the later ones -
mostly 1975-81 - with the older ( and better ) ones coming along in due
time.

In the course of this project, I've been struck by several
observations. I guess I really hadn't realized just how many logs came
from DX Tests, Frequency Checks and other Equipment Tests. Nor had I
fully realized just how productive sunset DX was when there were far
fewer stations with night power, and no PSSA's yet either.

I've found a couple of DX Tests where I'd recorded my own calls to the
station, and I know I have some other tapes which have entire DX Tests
or significant parts of them recorded as well.

But finally, as I'm playing through these, I'm discovering more than
just a few unnoticed ID's of stations lurking behind the ones I'd
recorded and noted - several at sunset. Some are stations which no
longer exist and will have to be researched, although i do have some
old White's logs from the period and perhaps an old NRC Log to help me
with that.

I've so far done about 200 out of a potential 950 to 1000 clips, so
this will be an ongoing project sandwiched between playing back PC
recordings of unattended top-of-hour overnight graveyard recordings
each night currently. I really can't wait to get to some of the best
stuff, from 1969-73!

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]