Re: [IRCA] WKDK-1240 DX TEST

> The sweep tones come through really great, better than the CW.

I wonder if the code could be modified so a sweep tone going up equalled a
"dit", while a descending sweep tone is a "dash".  The first time I remember
sweep tones being used was a test in Vermont in the late 70's, probably the
1380 station.  One DXer complained that the tones were "ruining the channel"
while listening for that test.  He didn't seem to realize that the sweep
tones *were* from the test!  They do poke through.

I've also recommended use of morse code using 5KHz tones to center them in
the middle of the least-busy parts of the channel.  People with
communications receivers with a CW filter could look +/-5KHz from the test
to get the CW.  Anyone willing to try either of these?

And yes, it did trigger a discussion as to whether hearing 5KHz CW was
really the same as hearing a station under more normal circumstances.  The
discussion was hearing something on xxx5KHz vs. xxx0KHz.  But, that content
is coming from that station, so...

Craig Healy
Providence, RI