Re: [IRCA] SRF-39 Versus SRF-59

Hi Bill:

Electronically, the CXA1129N integrated circuit-based SRF-39 and SRF-59
are identical: same design in a new skin.  They have the same sensitivity,
selectivity, AGC, nulling ability, etc. - see Gary's 2008 Shootout for the
in-septh scoop.

That said, I prefer the 39 because:
 - the tuning wheel is bigger and more of it sticks out of the case,
making it much easier and smoother to tune
 - to my ears, the electronics in the audio chain are apparently different
such that the 39's audio recovery seems clearer.  The units were born 10
years apart, so the later production of the 59 might be using a different
grade of components.
 - the 39 has a 0-10 logging scale, so it might help to see where you're
at on the dial
 - the 39 has always been properly aligned out of the box, whereas the 59
often needs some tweaking before reaching proper sensitivity
 - the 39FP's on eBay are clear plastic, which is fun to look at!

For more info, the "Sony SRF-59 Sourcebook" on the Dxer-ca web site, in
the "Ultra-light Files area",  has the gory details on the SRF-59 family

Hope this helps - Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA