[IRCA] Superb Distance Calculator for Domestic Stations+

[IRCA] Superb Distance Calculator for Domestic Stations+

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions of distance calculators....
it does appear that international distance records are a bit tough to
calculate, especially for small-town transmitter sites.

On the domestic side, though, I'd like to recommend a site that I was
introduced to through the Graveyard DXers group. Its Barry McLarnon's
site http://topazdesigns.com/ambc/

The left half of the screen is the distance calculator. You have to
enter your coordinates there once. After that, all you have to do is
mouse-click in the Lat and Long spaces to insert your own
coordinates. After that, all you do is type in the station call....
up pops all sorts of information... arrival angles, SR/SS times at
your location and the station, and yes, distance in both miles and
kilometers. Its the easiest that I've ever found for domestic DXers,
and the most useful that I've found.

The right side of the dashboard is an excellent reference for
stations... by frequency and format, by call and frequency,
etc.  What I particularly like is the "fuzzy" search for an unknown
call on a particular frequency. If I select 1240 kHz and type
in  what I thought I heard (say, KDRC), it will give me listings for
all of the stations on 1240 that are phonetically similar. ...  in
the KDRC-1240 example, the actual possibilities are KVRC in Arkansas,
KCRT in Colorado and KCLV in NM. The last time that I DXed
domestically (until this winter) was in 1960, so I find the right
half of Barry's site VERY useful, too.

I'm sure that it is not quite as accurate as the FCC database, say,
since it is Barry's private project, but I find it extraordinarily useful.

John B.
Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA
Rcvrs: WiNRADiO 313e, Eton e1, NRD-535(kiwa-mods)
Antennas: 700' NE/SW mini-Bev, Wellbrook Phased Array (pre-production version)