Re: [IRCA] SRF-59 Alignment Procedure

On 23-Dec-07, at 1:57 AM, D1028Gary@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Hello Bill,
>
>      The IF of this SRF-59 is a mystery.  There is  only one
> adjustable AM IF
> transformer on the radio's circuit board, and this is  the only
> adjustable AM
> component in the radio (the coils on the loopstick are  not
> adjustable by
> sliding, and there are no trimming capacitors on the  tuner).  Most
> single-conversion radios give a hint of the IF by at  least weak
> image reception twice the
> IF lower than strong locals at the top of  the dial, but this radio
> has no
> image reception whatsoever.  The secrets  are apparently contained
> within Sony's
> proprietary 30-pin IC chip hidden  underneath the main circuit board,
> resulting in performance far exceeding what  technicians of the
> 70's and 80's (like
> myself) are accustomed to.

Count me in as one of the SRF-59 fans - brought one a couple of weeks
ago and it fully lives up to its reputation. Furthest DX to data from
Calgary
AB is Cuba on 530 which I have logged several nights. WOAI-1200 is
heard most
nights in the null of the Vancouver station. Am thinking of starting
a new log
of stations logged with this little wonder which is a real winner and
much more
portable that my GE Superadios and Radio Shack TRF's.

With regard to its IF frequency - my usual procedure to check this is to
use by DX-440 to measure the oscillator frequency. I turn the BFO of
the DX-440
on and with WWV tuned in use the BFO pitch control to zero beat WWV.
Then I
tune the radio under test to a weak station and determine the
oscillator frequency
with the DX-440. The IF is of course the difference between the
frequency
the radio under test is tuned to and the oscillator frequency.

I did this this morning with the SRF-59 and I and perplexed. With
weak CFCW-790
tuned in on the SRF-59 as accurately as I can by ear, I measure the
oscillator
frequency to be 1696 KHz, which would indicate a 906 kHz IF
frequency. I checked
at a few other places in the band and the difference was always 906
kHz. What
gives - I radio is not supposed to have an IF frequency in its tuning
range. I
do hear a weak birdie on local CKDQ-910 which is normal for a radio
with a 455 kHz
IF bur would also be expected for a radio with an IF near 810. Double
checked to
see if there was any trace of an oscillator signal from the SFR-59
400 - 500 kHz
above the tuned frequency, nothing at all heard.

Only radio I know of that has an IF frequency abound 900 kHz is the
WW II era
BC-348 aircraft receiver, where the IF is 816 kHz. But they did not
cover
the standard AM radio band.

The mystery of the SRF-59 deepens.

73,