Re: [IRCA] Might mites Ultra Light SRF-59 DXing

Re: [IRCA] Might mites Ultra Light SRF-59 DXing

Brett and Others,

     I think one of the reasons why the SRF-59 has  proven so popular is
because it reminds us of the analog radios we grew up  with.  I also had a lot of
fun as a kid, listening to a pocket radio under  the covers.  It wasn't nearly
as advanced as the SRF-59 (with its  phenomenal IC), but it was exciting
enough to start a thrilling lifetime  hobby.

     It seems that because of the "nostalgia  effect," some of us are better
able to tolerate the SRF-59's somewhat  touchy analog tuning.  To me, it's
part of the charm, hi.  It  reminds me of the tricky analog tuners of the late
60's (am I sounding old  here?).  Whether this is a problem or not depends
strictly on your  individual preferences, and for me, it's part of the fun.  On the
other  hand, if I had a propagation peak on an ocean beach and needed to log
multiple  TP's quickly, the analog SRF-59 would be like an albatross, to be
perfectly  frank.  I would trade it for an SRF-M37V in a heartbeat.  As much  as
the SRF-59 induces warm nostalgia and can log an occasional TP or two, for
urgent propagation peaks,  you will spend a lot more time tuning than  logging.

  73 and Best Wishes,

  Gary