[IRCA] Adventures in IBOC

Here's another example of just how bad IBOC is. I was staged at a
monitoring point 11.5 miles NW of KCKK/1510 most of the day today while
our consultant made adjustments to the 19 kw night DA pattern. I was at
this particular location because it is on one of the nulls (328 degrees)
that protects the 1510 station in Spokane WA. I was reading about 3 mV
on the field intensity meter which should present a decent signal in the
local area. While waiting I decided to check out the signal on my car
radio. I was surprised to find the signal on 1510 completely covered by
the IBOC hash from 1490 in Boulder. Boulder was 11 miles west of me so I
was almost exactly between the two stations. Boulder is two channels
away and runs only 1 kw ND. Yet it completely obliterated the 3 mV
signal from 1510. I wish I could have shut off 1510 long enough to read
the signal strength of the IBOC noise on that channel.

Patrick Griffith, CBT CBNT CRO
Westminster CO
http://community.webtv.net/AM-DXer/
http://community.webtv.net/N0NNK/