Re: [IRCA] Sony MW DX Receiver

Hello Joe,

     I presume you are referring to the Sony ICF-EX5  portable receiver,
which was reviewed in the April issue of DXM, and also the  April-May issue of
MWN.  I was the author of that review (with extensive  help from Nick
Hall-Patch), and the receiver sells for about $160 from Audio  Cubes 2, a company which
specializes in Japanese-market electronics.  The  link for the full details on
this receiver is
_http://www.audiocubes2.com/category/Radio/product/Sony_ICF-EX5_Extra_Sensitivity_Portable_Radio.html_
(http://www.audiocubes2.com/category/Radio/product/Sony_ICF-EX5_Extra_Sensitivity_Portable_Radio.html)

     While this receiver has a moderate sensitivity  edge over the ICF-2010,
it is certainly not a substitute for it if your primary  focus is on
transoceanic DX.  As an analog receiver, it lacks memories, a  BFO, and digital
readout, and has been enormously popular on the Japanese market  primarily because of
its good sensitivity, selectivity, and portability (at 2  pounds).  One
interesting fact is that although the ICF-2010 and ICF-EX5  were both introduced in
1985, the ICF-EX5 has been continuously sold by Sony  until today, outliving
the ICF-2010 in the longevity record for modern  electronics.

     I will forward my 4-page review of the ICF-EX5 to  you directly, and to
any other DXers who may have missed the original  article.

         73 and Best Wishes,

        Gary  DeBock  (N7EKX)