Re: [IRCA] IBOC battle begins

--- Patrick Martin <mwdxer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> John,
>
> The discussion I have read elsewhere is  that the big boys in the
> large
> markets do not want out of market stations reaching their listeners.
> Lke
> in the example of Los Angeles, where you have KABC 790. If they run
> IBOC, then the local listeners cannot get KGO 810.  Both stations are
> talk. I have also heard this discussion with some anti IBOC engineers
> too.

I suspect that's a case of where the specific example happens to
support the premise.

It is indeed true that any broadcaster wants you to listent to his
station and not to another. It adds a degree of insult/frustration I
suppose when people listen to an out of market station of the same
format instead, but that IS the market forces at work because if you're
in LA and listening to KGO instead of KABC, ( and you're not a DX'er )
there's a specific reason having to do with a specific type of content
which KGO has and KABC doesn't. And it's also another clear
demonstration of how the AM IBOC proponents have used and are using
political means to manipulate the usual market forces to their
advantage.

The entire argument that US citizens shouldn't be able to listen to
whatever stations they can hear, especially when this has been the case
for 80 years is below any rational consideration.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id