Re: [IRCA] the big black absorptive cloud

--- Nick Hall-Patch <nhp@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> At 14:40 03/11/2007, you wrote:
> >Hi Nick,
> >where do you find info about this cloud? I also noticed the same
> >wipeout here. Everything looked excellent still at 1200.
>

> I wish I knew, Mauno; I was joking at the time, but it seems to be a
> very real phenomenon, and one which, to my limited knowledge, still
> doesn't really have an observable solar / geomagnetic parameter
> associated with it.   What has changed since a day or two ago which
> has caused all long distance signal strengths to deteriorate so
> markedly?

In terms of the MidWinter Anomaly on MW going back to the 1960's, it's
extremely early for such. Further, "Classic MwA" conditions are not
usually - at least on the EC - associated with a lack of signals but
rather a lack of anything of any real interest - the regular
powerhouses should still be there. I'm not convinced that this isn't
something more transitory, such as a localized geomagbnetic
disturbance, which of course, we will see.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id