[IRCA] Kenwood R2000 question

I have owned a previously loved Kenwood R2000 for over ten years now.

With the acquisition of a Drake R8, I tend to not use it as much.
Still, it is a fabulous receiver that matches the R8 db for db in
terms of sensitivity. If anything, the R2000 has a skoosh more in its
ability to dig signals out of the mud - especially CW.

This receiver has the VC-10 VHF converter and other than the odd
re-seating to make it work properly, the VHF converter has worked
flawlessly all these years. Until I turned it on yesterday...

The VHF reception is deaf. Long, medium and shortwave is as good as it
has always been. It tunes all the VHF frequencies as before but all I
hear is noise - not a hint of signals. I have tried several antennas
to no avail. The SW Antenna I usually use on this receiver is an old
Fire-stick whip (cut for CB) and it works well on all bands -
including VHF.

So. Does anyone have any experience with a deaf VHF converter? I am an
electronics technician with most of the tools except for a VHF signal
generator.

Ideas?

--
Colin Newell - Editor/Creator coffeecrew.com | dxer.ca
Web-Design / E-Commerce / Writing