[IRCA] TPs Oct 15: Fabulous Morning!

Like about everyone else, it was a fabulous Chinese morning for me,
too.... not quite as good as Patrick, now that he has figgered out
how to hear the Far East, but still pretty fabulous. My early run, an
hour before dawn was pretty Chinese, but not too great. However, once
dawn enhancement kicked in, the band was covered and mostly with CCs.
There was at least threshold audio on 66 channels, with about half of
them being at the language recognition level or above.

The biggest thrill for me was having two CNR1 transmitters putting in
good solid audio on 540. (Single echo) I've never heard even one CNR
transmitter there before anywhere, not Grayland in 18 years, not QCI,
not here.... At least one has been heard occasionally on 540 by
others, but it was all new for me.  837 also had the CNR1 CC there at
very good levels.... not new for me, but never at really loggable
levels before. The Thai was in big time on 891, all the usual CCs
were there and what I'm pretty sure was Beijing News was dominating
1026.  I'm also sure that there were several other new CCs there, but
dawn is only so long

I didn't neglect Alaska either. Technically, my best reception of the
morning was KYUK, Bethel, Alaska on 640 kHz. It was running NPR, but
I got a full legal local ID.  What made it so tough was Chinese
National Radio on 639, the local 50 kW. mega-flamethrower CISL on 650
(very wide modulation, a real pest) AND KFI, Los Angeles on 640 to my
south.  The Wellbrook Array took care of KFI completely and gave me
good gain and S/N to the NW, but the infinitely adjustable vertically
walled IF filters and great dynamic range of the WinRadio 313e were
what allowed me to elbow my way in there and grab a very weak signal
from the western edge of Alaska. Life is pure joy when you can
sincerely consider a Trans-Pacific Chinese as adjacent channel QRM!

I also got decent copy on KSDP, 830 kHz. out in the Aleutians under
very similar circumstances.

Wow, I bet those guys on the North Cape of Norway on DXpedition
cleaned up big time!!!

John B.