Re: [IRCA] It's more than IBOC..

On Oct 9, 2007, at 11:37 AM, Craig Healy wrote:

> I really don't want to start an overpowering thread, especially in
> the hot
> part of the season, but I do want to make a quick comment on the
> state of
> things.

Hi Craig,

While I share a lot of your angst about the state of media
(especially dealing with the unfolding IBOC debacle), after reading
your email, I'd like to share a perspective that's given me a little
"peace" among the turmoil. It's true that the level of control the
government and business exerts over our traditional media outlets
seems to be tightening every day with DRM et al, but at the same time
the number of choices in what we can consume has grown exponentially.
I almost never listen to the radio for content any more (except for
DXing) - I've found there are enough free podcasts out there to more
than fill my available listening hours at home and in the car. iTunes
is an economical alternative to the CD and XM provides me with all
the music choices I need for those long road trips for the cost of
about a CD per month. IMHO there's not much worth watching on TV, hi-
def or otherwise, and all the news and weather information I need can
be found on the Internet. I know the emergency broadcast aspects are
not well-handled with this model (which is why I think IBOC is such
an issue to national security), but during "normal" times I can get
by for long periods of time without touching "traditional" media at
all. For me, the problem often is that there is too much information
and entertainment for me to consume, and not enough time to consume
it! (I'm almost 50, by the way, and see the younger generation even
more firmly planted in this new model than I am!)

73,

Brett Saylor