[IRCA] RF-Space SDR-14

Well, I've had a little bit of time to work with the RFSpace SDR-14.  I am
pleased.  The graphic picture makes things much easier to deal with,
especially since I'm a little bit hard of hearing.  Some comments...

*  The included low pass filter probably could use some help.  I'm not far
from three TV transmitters and a couple of 50kw FMs.  I did notice some
interference that I could trace to them.  Adding a separate outboard Drake
ham-type low pass filter did make some improvement.  Next thing I need to do
is get one with a lower frequency range.  The one I have is a 52MHz cutoff
meant to include the 6m ham band.  A 30MHz cutoff would have been better.
Ideally I would make a 2MHz LPF.

*  The 30MHz whole-band picture is amazing for figuring the current MUF.  I
can see myself leaving that up even when I'm not using the radio, just as a
reference.

*  The radio benefits from a tuneable preselector.  I have a couple of
home-brew units.  I find the tuning can be very accurate when you can see
the results.  I need to build one that covers the beacon band.

*  While the outboard Griffin knob would be interesting, I don't think I'll
need it.  The wheel on the mouse does the same thing and I'm running out of
USB ports.

*  This has more than enough gain for BCB work.  Most of the time I have run
the RF and IF gains down a couple of clicks.

I will work with the recording feature at some point.  I do want to bring
this with me to a few places and record a bunch for later listening.  Gotta
build a laptop for that..

Craig Healy
Providence, RI