[IRCA] Stopping bad Radio

I wrote our federal radio agency about a year or two ago: Industry Canada.

The issue was, a local station on 1070 was splattering so badly that it was
impinging on reception from 980khz to 1130khz.

In my letter I stated that I enjoy listening to a couple of regional
stations (within 35 miles of my location) on 980 and 1130 - both stations
being in Vancouver.
I also stated that my reception was being impeded by the station in Victoria.

Within 2 weeks the problem was gone and they have not been a problem since.
I can now listen to Calgary on 1060 with little interference - and the 1070
transmitter - well, I can see the antennas out of my East facing balcony.

My point is: If IBOC hash interferes with your ability to hear your favorite
station within 35 to 50 miles -- more so if you are a rural resident...

Write a letter.

-Keep it simple.
-Keep all emotion out of it.
-Do not identify yourself as a radio hobbyist or radio expert.

Send your letter to the FCC with a carbon to the radio station in question
and any station that might be effected by the interference.
Write your senator or local representative.

Sidebar: I totally agree with Patrick's assessment of this.
Stereo in all its forms on AM simply did not catch on.
No one cared.

If we were living in an era with limited choices for entertainment, I would
half-expect IBOC to succeed on a couple of levels.

But it will not -- because of XM, Sirius, Ipod, FM, MP3 players and the like.
Look at XM and Sirius for instance. Neither of them have been embraced (Yes, I embrace Sirius)
and both of them are on shaky ground, their future uncertain.

I predict that a year from now we will be laughing at all the energy we
put into this.
--
Colin Newell - Editor/Creator
www.coffeecrew.com | www.dxer.ca