Re: [IRCA] California

--- Russ Edmunds <wb2bjh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> --- "Powell E. Way III W4OPW" <w4opw@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>

> > If you get hit by a tornado and claim there was no
> > warning, you weren't paying attention to the TV or
> > weather radio. And there's generally a tornado
> watch
> > or severe thunderstorm watch in effect at the
> time.
> > Current NWS radar can give 20 to 30 minutes
> warning.
> > And in actuality a tornado or a hurricane is a
> rare
> > event compared to daily weather. A tornado affects
> > only a small area, and certainly it is, if that
> small
> > area happens to be YOUR house.
> >

> What's the typical tornado warning time ? 5-10
> minutes ?

20 t0 30 minutes or even more with the new radar

> What's the typical hurricane warning time ? 2+ days
> ?
>
> No comparison.
>
> And there are only serious warning systems
> in tornado-prone areas. We get one or two a year in
> this
> area - usually small ones but not always - and
> there's
> really not much in the way of warnings beyond the
> NWS's
> very vague and general announcements creating a
> crawl on
> the TV or a brief warning on the radio.

Watches are done from the Storm Prediction Center in
Norman. EVERY NWS knows how to issue warnings. TOR for
tornado and SVR for Severe Thunderstorm. A severe
thunderstorm CAN do as much damage as a tornado.

Powell

NNNN
POP email is powell at backroads  DOT     net