Re: [IRCA] California

--- "Powell E. Way III W4OPW" <w4opw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If you get hit by a tornado and claim there was no
> warning, you weren't paying attention to the TV or
> weather radio. And there's generally a tornado watch
> or severe thunderstorm watch in effect at the time.
> Current NWS radar can give 20 to 30 minutes warning.
> And in actuality a tornado or a hurricane is a rare
> event compared to daily weather. A tornado affects
> only a small area, and certainly it is, if that small
> area happens to be YOUR house.

What's the typical tornado warning time ? 5-10 minutes ?
What's the typical hurricane warning time ? 2+ days ?

No comparison.

And there are only serious warning systems
in tornado-prone areas. We get one or two a year in this
area - usually small ones but not always - and there's
really not much in the way of warnings beyond the NWS's
very vague and general announcements creating a crawl on
the TV or a brief warning on the radio.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]