Re: [IRCA] WBAL and IBOC hiss from WTAM

--- Craig Healy <bubba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Remember I am within WBAL's NIF contour, and should not be
> hearing
> > > IBOC hiss from WTAM at all.
> >
> > Yes, but you are also within 600 miles of WTAM which complicates
> > matters.
>
> WTAM should not be protected on 1090 or on 1110.  Only 1100.  WBAL
> should
> take precedence on 1090.  A night analog station of that power would
> never
> be allowed on 1090 that close to WBAL, especially non-directional.
> That
> violates many past and present FCC allocations rules.  That is one of
> the
> rules conflicts totally ignored by this whole matter.

Agreed. I wasn't suggesting otherwise although my brief comment may
have seemed so.

The point was that Bill is actually possibly within WTAM's protected
range >on 1100< and that because of that, their hiss intrudes where he
is. In this case -- as in I suspect others -- the promised protection
doesn't exist because the lawyers, accountants and lobbysist who
conceived this nonsense didn't understand anything about radio or the
ionosphere.

To reduce IBOC interference a station would have to reduce power on the
digital and that even further reduces their digital coverage in their
own primary area, and that's already reduced even on an HD receiver
from what the prior analog coverage was. So that's not viable.

Scrapping IBOC is the right thing to do but is financially ( in the
short term anyway, which is the only way the aforesaid suits think )
difficult. Pushing for a government mandate might seem attractive to
some of them, thinking that if they had the power to get this far,
they'd be able to do that also. But they may have cooked their own
goose on that one.  Besides, this isn't like TV where this has been
going on for years, where there is actually another viable and popular
use for some of the spectrum being vacated, where there aren't such
interference and propagation issues, and where digital actually brings
something to the table in terms of benefit.

So the soap opera continues....

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]