Re: [IRCA] WebTV users...

Patrick,

  Its been mentioned in the past, but I believe (if I remember correctly) that you don't have a choice with WebTV.  The bad things are:

  1. Threads morph into something new quite often, so that the email may have little or nothing to do with the subject line when that happens.

  2. If you use a regular email client like Eudora or Outlook, your file system chokes with email unless you delete them after you read them (or at some time of your choosing).  In the case of Outlook, you may even be unable to use it if the email volume grows too large.

  3. If you use webmail like Yahoo or Gmail, you may have to do a search to find anything (if you let the providers worry about the number of emails).  In my Yahoo email, I have about 2600 emails still there.  In GMail, I have 579 threads, which represents around 1500 emails.

  4. I can't speak for anyone else, but I try to monitor my Yahoo and GMail during the business day.  I get 100 (or so) GMails daily, about 600 Yahoo, and another 500-600 work-related.  With that volume of email, something to grab a hold of (and provide context) is extremely valuable.  Without that snippet, they get ignored or put aside and the volume in the inbox grows.

  Different people have different takes!

  Mike

Patrick Martin <mwdxer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Paul,

True, there are Web TV users as myself, but many others don't use
snippets either. That is not a requirement of either list. The subject
line pretty well explains the thread. Infact, I think you are the first
to mention this. But if a person follows the thread, then snippets are
not needed. I never had trouble following a thread on the list. In
doubt, I can always refer back to an earlier posting anyway, as anyone
can do.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin