Re: [IRCA] California

Russ,

  Have you been to California?  The places most likely to have earthquakes are the most expensive areas, with the exception of San Diego, and that area has been getting a 2.5-3.5 around twice a week for the past several weeks.  Wildfires...yes, and those affected are the ones who should have thought about where they were moving to in the first place.  Monsoons or oppressive humidity...not in the past 55 years that I've been here.  When it gets hot here, the humidity is usually 15-25%.  I've been in a hurricane in Arizona in 1970...I'll take a quake anyday AND I was in a building that came down in the 1989 quake.

  Mike

Russ Edmunds <wb2bjh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

--- Michael Hawkins wrote:

> Just as a point of reference, the last volcanic eruption here was in
> 1918. It affected areas east of California. There have been 3-4
> significant earthquakes since 1980. None of them have lasted for
> more than 30 seconds, and they are not felt over large areas.
> Compare that to the number (and effect) of floods, hurricanes,
> tornadoes, hail storms, ice storms, blizzards, arctic cold snaps,
> killer heat waves, oppressive humidity or anything you'd care to
> mention for the middle and eastern sections of the country.
>
> Mike
> Nowhere near a palm tree or a bikini-clad bimbo on skates

Well now, this reminds me of a discussion the late Don Erickson and I
had in about 1966.

It's relatively easy to find parts of California where quakes are less
likely, and most of those are also the same major population centers
some of us would like to avoid. Alas the parts of the state which are
less earthquake-prone are impossible pricewise - such as the Central
Coast.

And you neglected to mention among California's attractions such stuff
as annual wildfires, monsoons, droughts, etc. And different parts of it
also have heat waves, and oppressive humidity.

Every place has its negatives in terms of natural phenomena, but at
least hurricanes generally provide some warning - unlike quakes or
tornadoes - to perhaps escape. Sometimes so do ice storms and
blizzards. I don't much like any of the above, but I would take
hurricanes over either tornadoes or quakes.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id