Re: [IRCA] IBOC Revisited

Something came to mind..

You know one thing that will kill IBOC dead in it's tracks?  If the hiss interferes with the EAS system.  While much of the EAS system works off NOAA weather radio and FM, most of the top tier stations are still AM.  Damaging coverage on AM would certainly decrease the reliability of the system, especially in more sparsely populated and vulnerable areas.

For example, my Massachusetts clients are required to monitor WBZ-1030.  Distance is over 30 miles in every case.  KDKA IBOC at night would likely prevent decoding of the EAS data stream.

Picture the lawyers circling if people are killed because an alert was jammed.  Not pretty.

Anyone ever read anything from iBiquity stating that it would not affect EAS?  I sure haven't.  Think they even thought about it?

Craig Healy
Providence, RI