Re: [IRCA] [!! SPAM] IBOC Revisited

>Now that we have experienced several nights of IBOC operation throughout>
>the country, and most of us have had a chance to do some initial Dxing
>under these new conditions, I am interested in your responses to the
>following question:  Has the sky indeed fallen as many of us predicted?

With only a handful of stations (5%?) running IBOC, and less at night, this
really isn't much of a test.  We can get a sampling, such as what the 1210
IBOC will do to the low-powered 1220 in Providence.  We really won't have a
fair test of this under these conditions.  However, I am curious to see how
badly WOR is hit by the double whammy of 700 and 720 IBOC.

A couple of things come to mind.  First is that the hiss is mostly a single
point source due to the few stations.  When multiple stations per frequency
come on it will be worse.  The fading won't be at the same time, and it will
be impossible to null.

BTW, your local on 640 will be IBOC days only until they buy a second
transmitter.  May be a while.  Disney is quite committed to IBOC and
probably has turned them all loose at night, if possible.

What I do fear is the guy in upstate New York on 1040 getting his night
power essentially negated by the WBZ IBOC.  That's going to be a real shame.
I suspect WBZ will run nights.  They seem to have some inertia in getting
things done such as turning off the timer for "days only" IBOC.  Soon, I'd
bet.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI