Re: [IRCA] IBOC Revisited

Hi Renee:

	I have just a couple of observations.

	1. Your tuning techniques work and I have done the same thing myself
especially when just one station is causing the hiss. However, 710 was
completely unDXable and I could not use any technique to get rid of the
hiss because it was getting the channel from both sides - WLW 700 and
WGN 720. It was difficult to hear even Cuba on that channel no matter
what I tried, and Cuba is not even great DX. If the DX signal is
substantially weaker than say Cuba on 710, then it would be nearly
impossible to hear it. The band is not full yet and there are only a few
places where a channel is getting hit from both sides. If there were
more stations using IBOC, this would be more problematic.

	2. Things get a little dicey when DXing splits. Sometimes things work
and sometimes they don't work. That is because the hiss is not confined
to 10 kHz spacing.

	3. My gut feeling is that while we might be able to pick distant
stations using IBOC on occasion, we will not be able to hear large
numbers, especially the weaker stations. Virtually all of the distant
stations that certain DXers have been able to hear in digital have been
the stronger, more regular stations, and then decoding them has been
dicey. As more stations come on the air with IBOC, I bet things will be
even more difficult.

	These comments represent my own thoughts and are just points of discussion.

Bill

--
Bill Harms
Elkridge, Maryland

Check out the Spokane Radio History Pages
http://spokaneradio.philcobill.com

and the Spokane Radio Tower Pages
http://spokanetowers.philcobill.com