Re: [IRCA] Phasing /RF notch, etc.

At 01:00 PM 9/13/2007 -0700, you wrote:
>KAZ,
>
>I don't give up that easily. The Wellbrook Array sounds like it does
>have some good directional properties. But time will tell. I noticed
>several HD signals on in the middle of the night here, KSTE-650 and
>KCVR-1570, so some started earlier than expected.  KSTE-650 on 639 was
>an issue until after LSR here, then they faded out and I could hear CC
>on there. But they did not affect 666 that much. I could hear in the the
>LSB, but switching to the USB, the hash was gone. So, unless the dial
>gets overlapped with them, there still is DX to be had.
>    Here is a question I will throw out. Years ago, I read about an RF
>notch filter that the Europeans had built for Norway 1314 to cut down on
>their huge signal. As I remember, notching out 1314, you still could DX
>1323 and 1305, and only a few DB down on each side using the notch. Has
>anyone tried this on an HD signal? In phasing, you knock it down enough,
>the sideband hash does cut way down or in some cases goes away. Any
>comments?
>73,
>Patrick Martin

Patrick and Kaz,

A notch filter will only remove the frequency it's tuned to, and
an IBOC transmission is a wideband transmission. The notch filter
will only remove what it's tuned to, and if the target station
that you're trying to receive is on an adjacent frequency the notch
filter will not help. Can't win: If you tune it to station X's
frequency, it takes out station X, too.

Charles