Re: [IRCA] Chokes for Coax Lead-In

John,

Welcome back on the list. Thanks to you, I have solved the issue. I
remember reading your article several years back, but I never thought it
make be such an difference, I was thinking as many,  that the coax is
shielded and a matching transformer is inline, so why would the coax be
an issue? I found out very quickly after first terminating  the
"pigtails" I had and hearing CBU-690 just using the coax at S9!! I was
shocked to say the least. Well, getting rid of the pigtails and going
back to the F fittings knocked the signal of CBU to threshold, but the
locals were still at S7-S9, but boy did the choke make the difference.
That little easily made unit can do so much. I now get the locals at S1
or less!  Having a choke on the antenna input of the R8 is where they
will stay. The old adage comes into play "If I knew then what I know
now" sort of thing. But being on the rural OR coast having no strong
locals and DX rolls in, I fiqured why bother? well, I did bother and I
am glad I did.  I will second the comment John, that anyone using coax
to feed an outdoor Beverage,  EWE, K9AY, KAZ, or whatever, should have
one of these babies inline. It tightens up the pattern where it should
be and it cuts down the noise. Who knows? That extra DB of signal
without the the noise may be Nibi Nibi?

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin